Silver Maples’ COVID-19 Updates & Resources
As we began 2020, no one could have predicted that just a few months later we’d be in the midst of a global pandemic, fighting an infectious virus called the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Our experienced and compassionate team is committed to the safety and well-being of residents and staff and have implemented enhanced protocols while providing regular, transparent communication.
This page provides information regarding our response to COVID-19, new policies that have been implemented, links to helpful resources, and a glimpse of what life looks like at Silver Maples. We are so thankful for our residents, families and staff for their support of each other and trust in our organization as we work together to keep each other healthy and safe. Together we will continue to create and support a positive aging experience and help our residents live their best lives now and in the future!
Latest Updates from Silver Maples
Update: May 3, 2022
COVID Update for The Meadows (Assisted Living)
Over the past week we have had 7 Meadows staff members and 5 residents test positive. We have not had any additional COVID cases in The Meadows Assisted Living the last two days. However, due to this recent outbreak in The Meadows, Washtenaw County Health Department recommends a 10-day quarantine for our Meadows residents, regardless of vaccination and booster status.
At this time, the entrance to The Meadows is restricted to scheduled visitors only. If there are no additional positive cases of COVID, we will re-open communal dining and group activities for Meadows residents starting on Monday, May 9, 2022.
Masks in common spaces are encouraged for all residents and continue to be mandatory for all staff. Please continue to wash your hands regularly and maintain 6 feet of social distancing. Be well & safe!
Update: March 21, 2022
Mask Wearing Update
The CDC has determined the COVID-19 transmission rate in Washtenaw county is LOW. This has been reduced from SUBSTANTIAL just last week.
Therefore, mask wearing for residents and visitors in the INDEPENDENT LIVING Common Areas is no longer required. Please note:
- Our Meadows Assisted Living community continues to be under licensing guidelines and masks are required in Common Areas in The Meadows.
- Although masks are no longer required in The Maples, people may choose to mask at any time.
- People with symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should wear a mask.
Please continue to be safe, but let’s enjoy this new breath of fresh air as we await the arrival of SPRING at Silver Maples!
Update: February 24, 2022
Face Masks & Visitors in The Maples Independent Living
We are pleased cases of COVID-19 have declined significantly across the State of Michigan, as well as at Silver Maples! Since February 1, 2022, we have had only one staff member test positive, and zero residents.
Last week, MDHHS announced Michigan had entered the “Post Surge Recovery Phase,” stating masks would no longer be recommended in most indoor public settings, regardless of vaccination status. However, MDHHS recommends all individuals practice masking in high-risk congregate settings.
At this time, we will continue to require masks in all common spaces at Silver Maples of Chelsea (unless actively eating or drinking.) We will closely monitor cases in our community and consider additional guidance over the next few weeks. If cases continue to remain low, we will move to lift the mask requirement, making it optional for staff and residents to wear them in the Independent Living areas of our community.
Residents in The Meadows, our Licensed Assisted Living neighborhood, are required to wear masks until further notice, as required by the State of Michigan.
We have not made any changes to our visitor policies. As a reminder:
Visitors of all ages are welcome at Silver Maples!
- All visitors are required to complete the screening process every time they enter our community.
- Visitors must complete the requested information at the self-screening station in the vestibule and apply the “I’ve Been Screened” sticker with the current date. The sticker must be visible at all times.
- Visitors who do not have a green V^3 badge may visit in common spaces, resident rooms, or outdoors only.
- Verified Vaccinated Visitors (V^3) only are able to join residents in the dining rooms. They must display their green V^3 badge at all times.
Update: January 3, 2022
Visitor Update Due to Rise in COVID Cases
Due to an increase in COVID-19 cases reported over the holidays, we are temporarily suspending prospective resident onsite community tours through the month of January. Our sales team is happy to email information and conduct virtual consultations and tours if desired. We appreciate your understanding as we continue to work to keep our residents and staff healthy and safe during this ongoing health crisis.
Update: November 18, 2021
Visitor Updates for The Meadows Assisted Living
We look forward to welcoming our loved ones to Silver Maples as the holidays near! There have been some recent updates from MDHHS regarding visitation at senior residential care facilities, including Assisted Living. The new visitor guidelines are as follows:
• Indoor visitation is always allowed and available for all residents.
• There is no limit to the frequency of visits a resident may receive.
• There is no time limit for the length of a resident’s visit.
• There is no limit on the number of visitors with the resident during their visit. However, physical distancing (especially between different visitor groups) must still be maintained.
• Visitation does not require advanced scheduling to occur.
• Visitors should go directly to the resident’s room and not walk around different halls or common spaces.
• Both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated residents may choose to have physical contact/touch based on their preference and needs.
• Visitation must be conducted in a manner that adheres to the core principals of COVID-19 infection prevention and does not increase risk to others residents. The Core Principals of Infection Prevention include:
o Visitors who have a positive COVID-19 test, symptoms of COVID-19, or currently meet the criteria for quarantine should not enter.
o All visitors and staff will be screened for signs, symptoms and exposure to COVID-19.
o Proper hand hygiene must be adhered to.
o Face coverings, along with 6 feet of physical distancing are required.
Michigan is experiencing another spike in COVID-19 cases. Please continue to follow all of the guidelines above. We are proud to say we have not experienced any COVID-19 cases among our residents since the start of the Pandemic. Thank you for being diligent in protecting yourselves and your loved ones!
Update: July 27, 2021
Staff Positive COVID Test
On Monday, July 26, 2021, one (1) staff member working in the Culinary Department at Silver Maples of Chelsea tested positive for COVID-19 during our required weekly testing of unvaccinated staff. The employee has been experiencing minor symptoms and is quarantining at home.
The employee last worked on Friday, July 23, 2021. Our residents may have had some exposure to the staff member; therefore, we are required to test all of our Meadows residents weekly for the next two weeks. We have completed the first round of testing of our residents, which yielded no positive results. Our last positive staff case has been over three months ago.
The safety of our residents remains our top priority! Over 74% of our staff are fully vaccinated, which exceeds the state average of 63.2%. We are also happy to share that 100% of our Meadows residents are vaccinated and over 99% of our Maples/Villa residents are fully vaccinated! At Silver Maples, we have had ZERO positive cases among our resident population since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We continue to implement all of our safety precautions, which include:
- Daily health screening of all employees
- Required mask wearing by all staff and residents in the Meadows Assisted Living
- Weekly COVID-19 testing of all unvaccinated staff members
- Visitor COVID-19 testing and screening
- Physical barriers at work stations
- Additional cleaning, disinfection and hand hygiene, with extra attention to frequently used areas
We will be certain to communicate any additional relevant information. Our residents are well and have thrived these last 18 months, but we are not out of the woods yet. Please be diligent and minimize risks in order to continue to keep our residents safe. Thank you!
Update: June 22, 2021
Restrictions and Visitation Updates
Governor Whitmer announced that all COVID-19 Epidemic Orders regarding gatherings and masking will be lifted as of June 22, 2021. It’s a wonderful way to celebrate the first days of summer!
Although masks are no longer required in most areas, and we will now be able to gather in larger groups, there are still restrictions in place to protect our vulnerable populations.
Due to our Home For the Aged (HFA) licensing, the following guidelines continue to be in place for our Meadows Assisted Living community:
- All Staff and Residents must wear masks at all times when in the Meadows Assisted Living
- Residents may only enter the Meadows with a scheduled appointment at the hair salon, or for a scheduled visit with a resident
- Visitors are permitted outdoors, or in resident rooms only. At this time, visitors are still not permitted to gather in common spaces or dine with our Assisted Living residents.
Updated visitor guidelines at Silver Maples of Chelsea Independent Living:
- Visitors of all ages are welcome at Silver Maples!
- Verified Vaccinated Visitors (V^3) are free to join residents in the common spaces, including dining rooms. They should display their green V^3 badge at all times. (See our receptionist for more information.)
- Visitors who are not vaccinated (do not have a green V^3 badge) may visit in resident rooms only, or outdoors.
Dining Room Updates:
- Our dining rooms will open at 100% capacity starting next week on Monday, June 28, 2021.
We continue to take small steps forward and appreciate your support, patience and understanding as we work to slowly relax restrictions.
Update: May 6, 2021
Visitation Updates for The Meadows (Assisted Living)
We sure have enjoyed having visitors at The Meadows Assisted Living these last several weeks! There are a few updates regarding visitation that are shared below:
- COVID testing is required prior to entry for non-vaccinated visitors. All visitors (vaccinated or not) will be required to participate in screening procedures.
- Appointments for visits are still required for all. Due to screening and testing requirements, pre-scheduled visits may occur between the hours of 9 AM – 7 PM, Monday – Friday, and 10 AM – 4:30 PM Saturday and Sunday only.
- We are unable to provide any COVID testing on the weekends. Therefore, any visits scheduled for Saturday or Sunday require a COVID test on Thursday or Friday.
- Visitors must be over the age of 16.
- All visitors must pre-schedule their visits by calling The Meadows receptionist desk @ 734-475-1490 to schedule their visit, not to exceed two visitors and adhere to a reasonable time limit (two hours or less).
- Visitors at Silver Maples are permitted in individual apartments only and may not linger in any communal space (including public restrooms).
If residents AND visitors are fully vaccinated:
- While alone in the resident’s apartment, you may choose to have close contact, including touch and sharing meals without masks. Visitors must, however, wear masks and distance from staff and others that are not part of their visit group and when outside loved ones apartment.
- Outdoor visits are still recommended. Please enjoy our lovely outdoor space. Face coverings are not required while visiting outdoors when resident and visitors are all fully vaccinated.
If either resident or visitors are NOT fully vaccinated:
- Everyone must maintain physical distancing and wear masks
- However, if the resident is fully vaccinated, they can choose to have close contact, including touch, while both continue to wear well fitted face coverings
- Outdoor visits are still recommended. Please enjoy our lovely outdoor space. Face coverings are required for visitors while visiting outdoors.
Indoor visitation will cease for a time period if any COVID-19 cases occur at Silver Maples of Chelsea. Thank you for continuing to keep the residents of Silver Maples of Chelsea and their loved ones SAFE and WELL!
Update: April 1, 2021
Community Update (Visitor Restrictions Loosened)
As spring approaches, the fresh air, sunshine and a loosening up of some restrictions has provided a renewed sense of hope and purpose at Silver Maples of Chelsea.
We have implemented a Verified Vaccinated Visitor (V^3) Program in our Independent Living neighborhood (Villas/Maples).
The Verified Vaccinated Visitor Program allows fully vaccinated visitors to have unrestricted access to our Maples Independent Living community, although masking, social distancing and screening are still required.
To gain access to the program, visitors must provide a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination record card, verifying they have had both vaccine doses. The second dose (if applicable) needs to be administered at least 14 days prior to presenting their card.
In return, the visitor will receive a laminated card permitting them to socialize anywhere within the community.
Any visitor interested in becoming a V^3, please complete our Verified Vaccinated Visitor Form, make a copy of your vaccination card, and submit to the Maples Receptionist either via email or in person.
This week we were also able to reunite our Meadows and Maples neighbors!
We “opened the doors” between the Meadows Assisted Living and the Maples Independent Living, on Wednesday, March 31, 2021. These doors had been closed for over a year, since March 13, 2020! Due to the specific regulations by the MDHHS for Assisted Living communities, there will continue to be some restrictions in place.
Independent Living Maples/Villa Residents:
- May enter the Meadows neighborhood for two purposes only;
- Visiting a Meadows resident (in apartments only) or,
- A scheduled appointment in the Salon. (The Salon will be moving back to its permanent location on the 2nd floor of The Meadows.)
- All visits with Meadows residents must be pre-scheduled by calling the Meadows desk at 475-1490.
- Residents must wear face coverings for the duration of the visits and maintain 6 feet of social distancing at all times.
- The Beauty Salon will no longer be located in the Maples Craft Room. All appointments will be held in the Meadows Salon moving forward.
- Maples/Villa residents may not linger in the Meadows common spaces or use the Meadows as a walk-thru (entering or exiting to the villas.)
Assisted Living Meadows Residents:
- Our Meadows residents can now freely enjoy access to the entire Silver Maples community! They may once again visit the library, Garden Room, Café, Art Gallery and other common spaces in the Maples area.
- Limited dining for dinner in the Bistro and Trellis Rooms will be available via a sign-up sheet located at the Meadows receptionist desk.
- Due to capacity restrictions, separate activities will be planned in The Meadows and The Maples.
We have maintained a “safe bubble” for over a year now. As always, our residents and guests must continue to do all they can to mitigate possible COVID-19 transmission by maintaining 6 feet of social distancing, washing hands often and wearing face coverings over both the mouth and nose.
We are happy to say…Welcome Home Friends!
Update: February 24, 2021
On-Site COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics Offer Convenience and Hope for Brighter Days
Here at Silver Maples of Chelsea, we’re starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel of our long COVID-19 journey. It’s been nearly a year since we had to shut our doors to visitors, completely change the dining and programming processes, and focus entirely on keeping our residents safe. The efforts-- mirroring the changes and sacrifices we all have made to weather this pandemic—are certainly paying off, as there has not been a single resident diagnosed with COVID-19.
As many in the 65+ age group struggle to find opportunities to receive vaccines, Silver Maples residents and staff were fortunate to have access to in-house clinics operated by CVS Pharmacy. Each vaccine clinic offered brought a day of excitement and hope. And that hope stretched beyond Silver Maples staff, residents, and families. Our on-site vaccine clinics were meticulously coordinated to be safe, efficient and fun. Residents and staff who were vaccinated were offered an “I Got The Shot” Silver Maples button to commemorate the day and an individually wrapped anti-COVID cookie for the road. During the 12-minute post-shot observation, attendees also had the opportunity to pose with our “We’re in this Together” photo frame and share why they chose to get the vaccine. Shirley Lancaster, who has lived at Silver Maples five years along with her husband Tom, appreciated the convenience of having the on-site clinic. “[hosting the clinic] was a great idea. It went as smoothly as it could go; there were no hitches!”
At this point, more than 200 residents and staff have received at least one dose of the Moderna vaccine, including 100% of our Meadows Assisted Living residents, who, more than two-weeks out from their second dose, have reached peak immunity. Sara Smith, who has been a Resident Care Associate in the Meadows for nearly 7 years was so inspired by the Meadows Residents being 100% vaccinated, she shared “our residents were willing to protect me, so I was vaccinated to protect them too!”
“With our entire Assisted Living Resident population receiving both vaccines, we feel a sense of relief and hope as we continue to weather the pandemic” said Connie Napier, Director of the Meadows Assisted Living.
Though mask-wearing and social distancing will continue to be a part of our lives for a while, as more of our residents and staff continue to receive vaccinations, life starts taking steps toward “normal.” With restaurants re-opening, albeit with limited capacity, residents are once again able to dine together and make connections with neighbors and friends.
The quest of “shots in arms” is important, and a key step is ensuring that no dose is wasted. Silver Maples maintained a standby list of eligible community members, and at the end of the clinic day, 19 others were able to receive their vaccines, and will be returning to get their second dose when the final in-house clinic is offered in early March.
“Organizing on-site Vaccination Clinics with CVS offered our residents the comfort of staying indoors, while the CVS staff brought in all of the needed supplies,” said Silver Maples Director and CEO Julie Deppner. “The staff, residents and community members who were able to participate in these onsite clinics feel so incredibly fortunate for this life-saving opportunity.”
Visit the Silver Maples Facebook page to see photos from our on-site COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics.
Update: January 19, 2021
COVID-19 Vaccinations at Silver Maples
Making sure you get vaccinated early can help save your life and protect the lives of others! Our seniors over 65 years are among the highest at risk for infection and severe illness from COVID-19. We care about your health and getting vaccinated is an important step to prevent getting sick with COVID-19.
I am thrilled to be able to offer convenient access to the COVID-19 vaccine for all of our staff and residents! We have partnered with CVS Health to provide on-site COVID-19 vaccinations for residents and staff free of charge. We will be receiving the Moderna Vaccine. (Please see the Receptionist desk if you would like more information regarding Moderna.) The dates of these clinics are:
- Wednesday, February 3, 2021 – Dose #1 for Villas / Maples, Dose #2 for Meadows & Staff
- Wednesday, March 3, 2021 – Dose #2 for Villas / Maples
- Our Maples and Villa Independent Living residents will sign up for an appointment via the online sign up, or our receptionist (Karen) will assist in making the appointment. The link to making the online appointments will be provided via e-mail.
- All Maples and Villa residents must complete the 2-part triplicate Consent Form that is available at the Maples Receptionist Desk. This form must be returned to the desk no later than Wednesday, January 27th. Residents must also provide a copy of their insurance card, both front and back. Our staff can assist with making the copies.
- Vaccinations will take place on February 3rd in the Maples Room at Silver Maples.
- Our staff in the Meadows Assisted Living will manage all of the required paperwork for our Meadows residents and vaccinations will be administered in individual apartments.
COVID-19 vaccines are an important tool to help stop the pandemic. However, even after vaccination, everyone will need to continue following all the current guidance to protect themselves and others, including wearing a mask, staying at least 6 feet away from others, and following guidance on visitation and infection control, as well as cleaning hands often.
Thank you again for all you are doing to stay safe!