Regardless of your age, moving is a big undertaking. This is especially true for older adults with years and years of memories piled up in the home you’ve raised your family in and have enjoyed for several years. Moving is a process and goes much smoother with careful planning, coordination and lots of patience. First, don’t be afraid to ask for help from your friends and family members. . Asking for help can feel as difficult as doing it all yourself, but remember it’s okay to enlist the help of others in times like this. Give yourself plenty of time to pack and try to break the large tasks into small chunks so they are easier to complete.
Moving Checklist for a Less Stressful Transition to Senior Living
The first thing you can do to make moving a little easier is to put together a checklist. Try to tackle at least one item on your list each day, and in no time, you’ll be ready to put those boxes on the truck and embrace the next exciting chapter of your life!
Use this checklist to get started:
- Visit your new home or apartment – Get a feel for how much space you’ll have and familiarize yourself with your new surroundings.
- Start decluttering room by room – Take inventory of what you have and make piles of things you’ll no longer need. You can decide what to do with it all later.
- Donate items you don’t need or want – For things you don’t plan to keep, pass down or put in storage, feel free to donate as early as possible. It will give you more room to work with and help you feel like you’ve accomplished something.
- Get estimates on moving – Moving can be expensive, so the earlier you can plan, the better. Find out if you will need to hire movers, rent a truck or enlist family and friends to help out.
- Pack strategically – Use strong boxes, label everything and be sure to pack your necessities in a box that stands out from the rest.
- Make an unpacking plan – Create a game plan for how you will unpack things as you move them over to your new space. It might make sense to start in the bathroom and bedroom since you will need these spaces first.
- Contact your doctors and mail carrier – Be sure all pertinent information is updated to your new address for an easier transition.
- Make a list of what to buy for your new home – If you can spread out your spending, you won’t notice as much. Make a list of what you think you will need and buy things a little at a time.
The key to a successful move is understanding that not everything will go as expected. Be flexible in your planning and start as early as possible. The more time you give yourself to pack and get situated, the less stressful the process will be. And never feel afraid to ask for help. Your family and friends will be happy to help you move into your next chapter of life in a place that feels like home.
Start Planning Your Retirement at Silver Maples
Are you searching for the right fit for your retirement years? Whether you are just starting your search or looking to make a move in the near future, Silver Maples is here to help. The key to any successful life transition is research and planning. We invite you to explore senior living at Silver Maples. You can initially do this from afar by visiting our website. There, you can access floor plans, pricing, informative videos, personal stories, and testimonials from residents, their families and our staff. Or, feel free to connect with us through social media to get a peek at daily life at Silver Maples.
When you’re ready, contact us to learn more and discuss options and current availability and wait list options, seeing it first hand makes all the difference. Our knowledgeable staff is eager to assist and help you find an active, engaging lifestyle that you’ll love.